Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Fish climbing ladders?

Now I must admit, I'm a very talented gal and sometimes act quite human.  I have done a marvelous job training my humans who respond without failure and keep me happy and content.  But when Momma told me about the fish ladders, I really thought she had lost it.  I've seen some of my furry cousins owned by roofer-humans who scamper up and down ladders to join them on the rooftop.  But fish? negotiating ladders!!  P L E A S E. 

Then she showed me the water ladders that don't really look like typical ladders and it all began to make sense. 


You see, salmon will return to the area where they were hatched after a year at sea.  They arrive in the fresh water after spending time in sea water and are held as they get acclimated to freshwater. 
Then the hatchery then opens the gate (July 24th is this year's date) and the salmon begin the 'climb/swim' upstream through the pockets of water that get higher and higher as they progress into the spawning building.


Not all the salmon will make it to the fish ladder.  The sea lions and otters will enjoy lunch and even a big dinner.  They know where to get a bountiful selection.
Also, just outside the hatchery, fisherman with licenses can 'snag' up to 6 salmon a day.



This pink salmon was snagged/hooked in his back fin.  The salmon have no interest in food at this time of their life.  Thus, the 'snag fishing process' where fisherman try to 'hook/snag' a fish.

The fish that do make it up the ladder and into the tank die after  completing the spawning process/life cycle and its depleted body isn't worth much more than food for musher dogs.  It is mostly fish oil at this point.

At this hatchery, they only deal with pink and coho salmon.  The locals have told us that pinks are 'okay' but the reds are better tasting.  We haven't become salmon connoisseurs yet, but we are working on it.  Bring on the fish....

Hickory
......on the road again


No comments:

Post a Comment