Friday, April 7, 2017

Day One: Off to Alaska...we hope

The title says 'Off to Alaska' which may make you wonder why in the world Dad headed south on I-75.  The explanation is quite simple.  We are spending the weekend with our Golden Triangle Sams camping 'family' in Brooksville, Fl.  Anyone who knows us is well aware that Momma and Dad always meander to our ultimate goal.  The travel along the way is part of the enjoyment of the trip with lots of adventures, places to see with terrific new smells, new friends to meet and dog bones to collect.  This is really day one of many days to follow as the house has been closed up for a few months while we go make memories.
Speaking of memories made, today was definitely one of those memorable days that we will remember and talk about for a while.  Call it a "stumble start."  It all began when Momma pushed the button to pull in the slides so we could hitch up the 5er and hit the road.  The last slide didn't sound right so she stopped and let Dad investigate.  Well, after a bit of investigation, I heard him on the phone having a technical conversation with a service tech.  It seems the layers of the door side slide flooring were separating, causing the middle of the slide floor to hang low and catch on the nylon glide as the slide came in, pulling the center section of the glide loose.  Take a [peak at the floor separation

Well, after crawling around on the floor for most of the morning with the assistance of son, Todd (he's my two legged brother). .......

The slide flooring layers have been drawn together with screws, the glide repositioned and the slide slid into the closed position.  ROAD TRIP TIME.  Now don't get too excited.  It's only a temporary fix.  And the slide will not be fully deployed until a more permanent repair takes place.  When will that happen you ask?  Momma and Dad would love the answer to that question as well.  The answer hinges on the busy schedule of the repair techs.  Another story for another day.

Okay, so the morning began with a glitch.  Followed by another incident.  Have you ever tried to fill a coffee cup that has been turned upside down? Yep, that's what Dad did in the middle of his trying morning.  He loaded up the Keurig with water, pushed the buttons and walked away not noticing that the coffee cup was....yep, upside down.  He made 'counter coffee'...a whole cup full all over the counter.

I napped my way to our arrival at the campground and was shocked when I saw how small our site was for our rig.  Mmmmm....what's up with this?  Oh well, it's been that kind of a day. So our rig is hanging off the paved pad.  At least it is level!!   And then they wouldn't let me out of the truck until they had dealt with the fire ants right at our front door.  Okay, so give us a break already!! 

Happy Hour was in progress when we pulled in but I told Momma, there was no way she was running off without giving me my dinner.  If they were going to enjoy snacks with friends, I could at least have my bowl full of vittles.  So there she was, trying to make Dad's coffee, feed me and grab her goodies to share when I heard her yelp, "Oh no, I forgot the cup!"  Yep, the second time today that the coffee has missed the cup.  I really think she did it just so Dad wouldn't feel bad about his fiasco earlier today.

Day one has been a challenge.  I wonder what Day 2 will be like?
Hickory
happy to be on the road again with my vagabond parents

No comments:

Post a Comment